Sweet, crunchy peanut brittle is a classic candy that you can easily make at home. This updated recipe doesn’t involve a candy thermometer, just a microwave. Make some asap!
If you enjoy the sweet, caramelly crunch of peanut brittle you are not alone. It is a classic candy for a reason. But did you know you can make it in just a few minutes with a few ingredients in the microwave?
You don’t need a candy thermometer or any fancy equipment. So gather up the ingredients and lets make a batch!
This is always one of our favorite Christmas candies. MiMi says this recipe was in the book that came with their very first microwave back in the ’80s and it has been a staple ever since.
She never likes doing anything that requires a candy thermometer, so this is the perfect kind of candy recipe for her. It seems like this one is really a favorite treat of my brother Clint and Paw-Paw. We all love it, but those two go crazy for it!
Luckily it really doesn’t get any easier to make than this. It starts by making a simple sugar syrup of sugar and corn syrup.
Once it is all hot and bubbly, you stir in the peanuts and let it cook a bit more. It starts getting a little caramelized at this stage and the peanuts get toasty.
Stir in just a bit of butter and vanilla and let it cook to caramelized goodness. When it is golden and delicious, you stir in some baking soda.
Have you ever stirred baking soda into a hot sugar mixture like that? We also do it when we make caramel corn.
It bubbles up big, so you want to make sure to have an oversized bowl. But all of that air is what makes it crunchy but light instead of a solid sheet of lollipop textured break your teeth hardness.
So just be careful, as the hot bubbly sugar could definitely get your fingers or make a mess. But if you size your bowl correctly, it shouldn’t be a big deal at all.
Then just pour the mixture onto a greased baking sheet and let it cool. Break it into pieces and store it in an airtight container to enjoy at your leisure.
You could also bag some up as gifts, people will think you went all out making them such a tasty treat!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup roasted, salted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In a 1 1/2 quart glass bowl (MiMi and I both always make it in our 8 cup glass measuring cups) stir together sugar and syrup. Microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Stir in peanuts. Microwave on high 3 to 5 minutes, until it starts getting golden brown.
- Add butter and vanilla to syrup, blending well.
- Microwave on high 1 to 2 minutes more. Peanuts will be lightly browned and syrup very hot.
- Add baking soda and gently stir until light and foamy.
- Pour mixture onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. Let cool for at least a half hour.
- When cool, break into small pieces and store in air-tight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 83mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 1g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.