Tea soaked fruits are baked up in a whole wheat quick bread for a delicious breakfast or tea time treat. Irish tea brack is perfect for St Patrick’s Day or any day!
This fun recipe is a cross between a coffee cake and a quick sweet bread. It is loaded with dried fruits and whole grains. It reminds me a little bit of Raisin Bran in cake form.
I am telling you, it is so good. It is perfect for tea time or a yummy breakfast.
Top ‘o the morning to you! Now that it is March, it seems like a few Irish recipes are in order. I think everyone has a favorite way of doing corned beef and cabbage, so I didn’t want to go right there.
I always love trying something a little bit different and fun. So, this brack seemed like a wonderful option.
If you haven’t heard of tea brack before, you are not alone. You should certainly get familiar though!
A brack is a fruit filled breakfast cake that goes great with a hot mug of tea or coffee. It looks like it might be too sweet, but it really isn’t.
It has a texture similar to a quick bread, but doesn’t have any of the butter or oil. The flavor reminds me of a bowl of raisin bran in cake form.
It kind of makes me want to eat it with milk and a spoon! But really it is great on it’s own with a cup of coffee.
You do have to start this relatively early if you want to make it all at once. You want the raisins and dates to soak in the tea for a while to become plump.
There is no reason why you couldn’t soak them overnight in the fridge to speed up the process in the morning. Then all you would have to do is stir in the rest of the ingredients and bake it. Easy peasy!
The brack is good served while still warm, but is also great at room temperature. Have it for breakfast.
Have it for a snack with a glass of milk or some tea. Heck have it for dinner, nobody is watching!
For another great twist on a fruity quick bread, try grandma’s date nut loaves. They are baked in can for a cool retro twist!
- 1 cup (8 oz) brewed hot tea
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups dates, chopped
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Pour hot tea over raisins and dates. Let sit for at least 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure all the fruit has a chance to soften and plump. You could do this the night before and let soak in the fridge overnight.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and fruit along with any liquid they were soaking in.
- Stir in the egg until everything is uniformly incorporated.
- Spread in a greased 8″ round cake pan and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake in a preheated 325°F oven for 60-70 minutes.
- Turn brack out of pan and cool on a wire rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please view my disclosure page for more information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 377Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 334mgCarbohydrates: 92gFiber: 7gSugar: 59gProtein: 7g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.