I love a nice pulled pork sandwich. My dad makes great pulled pork. It takes all day in the smoker, but it comes out so juicy and smokey and wonderful. I don’t have a smoker… and it is really cold outside. So, I take to the oven and do a slow braise. It’s no smoked pork butt, but it is moist and flavorful and oh so tender.
This recipe takes quite a while, but most of it is just letting the pork sit in a hot tub of yummy juices. The result is well worth the wait.
- Cut pork butt into fist sized chunks. I don’t worry too much about trimming the meat at this point, there will be plenty of time to remove the fat later.
- Heat a dutch oven to screaming hot. Add the vegetable oil.
- Brown the pork in batches. Don’t overcrowd the pan, you want it to brown nicely.
- Once all of the meat is browned, add it back to the dutch oven. Sprinkle with seasonings. Pour the beer over the meat then add water until the meat is 2/3 covered.
- Cover and place in 300 F oven for 3 hours.
- Let cool for a bit, then remove meat and shred. It is so tender, no fork or knife are required. Just go after it with your hands! Remove any chunks of fat you come across.
- Skim the fat from the liquid, or use a fat separator.
- Return shredded meat and de-fatted liquid back to dutch oven. Place in a 350 F oven until the liquid is reduced by at least half.
- Stir in desired amount of BBQ sauce and enjoy.
- Reduce de-fatted liquid to about a cup and a half.
- Place shredded meat and liquid in refrigerator.
- About an hour and a half before serving, place meat and liquid in slow cooker crock. Heat on Low until warmed through.
- Stir in desired amount of sauce and get ready for melt in your mouth goodness.