These banana muffins use sourdough discard to make tender and delicious muffins. They are a nutritious way to start your day.
By now it’s no surprise that sourdough muffins are my jam. Bertha (my sourdough starter) and I love to make muffins together. We do a pretty darn good job too, if I do say so myself.
She just loves to get a taste of a bit of sugar and I love having a quick and easy breakfast waiting for Little Dude. We have two or three kinds of muffins in the freezer at any given time. So he just picks one, we warm it up and breakfast is ready.
With some muffin recipes, having them regularly might not be such a good idea. But most of my muffins use oatmeal, whole wheat flour, sourdough starter, yogurt and as little sugar as I can get away with but still have them taste like the delicious muffin you expect.
This muffin recipe takes it even one step further. These are muffins that you can feel pretty darn good about and still feel like you are giving yourself a treat. Go ahead and try one. Heck, enjoy it!
More great sourdough discard recipes
Make life a little sweeter with a loaf of sourdough chocolate banana bread. It’s a fun breakfast or a great simple treat.
Sourdough crescent rolls are soft, ever so slightly sweet with a nicely rounded sourdough flavor. They are the perfect accompaniment to your next dinner!
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 mashed overripe bananas
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Mix sugar, sourdough starter, oatmeal, milk and raisins. Let sit while you gather up the remaining ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease the wells for 15 muffins.
- Stir the egg, applesauce, and bananas into the sourdough mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Scoop into muffin tins (I like using my large cookie scoop for that) then bake for 20-25 minutes or until completely set.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g
All nutritional information is estimated and will depend on the exact ingredients you use.