By now it’s no surprise that sourdough muffins are my jam. Bertha (my sourdough starter) and I love to make muffins together. We do a pretty darn good job too, if I do say so myself.
She just loves to get a taste of a bit of sugar and I love having a quick and easy breakfast waiting for Jax. We have two or three kinds of muffins in the freezer at any given time. So he just picks one, we warm it up and breakfast is ready.
This muffin recipe takes it even one step further. These are muffins that you can feel pretty darn good about and still feel like you are giving yourself a treat. Go ahead and try one. Heck, enjoy it!
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sourdough starter
1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup applesauce
2 mashed overripe bananas
1 cup white whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Mix sugar, sourdough starter, oatmeal, milk and raisins. Let sit while you gather up the remaining ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400 F and grease the wells for 15 muffins.
- Stir the egg, applesauce, and bananas into the sourdough mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Scoop into muffin tins (I like using my large cookie scoop for that) then bake for 20-25 minutes or until completely set.